Pimple and acne prone skin is a concern for many men. In the current sultry weather especially, many of us suffer from oily skin and have to face uninvited pimples. Though some us may have inherited our overactive sebaceous glands leading to excess secretion of oil, some just experience it with a change in season.
Men are usually not used to using so many products, but when it comes to skincare do not hesitate from adding a few more items to your list to avoid unattractive skin. Oily skin needs a little extra care, and that mostly comes in the form of choosing your products carefully and being consistent with your cleansing routine which should ideally consist of below mentioned five steps.
STEPS TO CONTROL OILY SKIN AND PREVENT ACNE
- Face wash– people with oily skin must not skip washing their face every morning and night. It is important to remove all the oil and dirt from the skin’s surface before they accumulate and lead to pimples. Cleansers with tea tree oil, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are known to be effective against acne, so choosing a cleanser containing any of these might help to effectively prevent pimples. If you suffer from body acne, using a body wash with above mentioned ingredients could be helpful.
- Toner– using a toner is a very helpful step in controlling acne. It further cleans out what your face wash is not able to, tightens pores and balances your oil level which prevents clogged pores from excess oil.
- Moisturiser– dry and dehydrated skin are two different things. While trying to fight oiliness, do not leave your skin dehydrated (dehydration can lead to dry, flaky skin and premature aging). Always use an oil-free moisturiser (preferably with SPF) after you clean and tone your face. Moisturisers with gel like consistency could be helpful as they are quickly absorbed without any creamy feeling. If you still feel it making your skin slightly greasy, you could try to apply less amount of it on the problematic oily areas of the face.
- Face scrub– using a mild facial scrub 1-2 times a week helps in removing the dead cells (removing dead cells also clears out the complexion as it evens out the skin tone and also helps in removing suntan), accumulated dirt and oil and clears clogged pores. This helps in keeping the skin clean and acne free. If you stay outdoors a lot or lead an active lifestyle which results in a lot of sweating, you should definitely include exfoliating in your routine. Do not scrub harshly and do not fall into the trap of expensive exfoliators. If you believe in home remedies, then even a mix of gramflour and curd is effective, gentle with skin and chemical free. Exfoliating also helps in preventing blackheads, which again is a by-product of oily skin.
- Face pack– a face pack or mask helps in absorbing the excess oil, cooling the skin and reduces pimples. A face pack when applied 1-2 times a week and left to sit for 15 minutes absorbs the impurities from the inner layer of the skin and shrinks pores. Aloe vera gel, cucumber packs, fuller’s earth, etc. are excellent remedies for oily skin.
Apart from these, drink a lot of water (at least 2.5lts a day) so that you stay well hydrated and don’t need a heavy-duty moisturiser to combat dry skin, eat less of fried and spicy food, don’t touch your face with your hands and never pop your pimples.
Follow this simple oily skin skincare routine and you should start seeing results in just a few days!