Valentine’s day has become synonymous with gift guides for the partner, but the day has so much more meaning to offer for those who choose to look. Not that anybody should wait for a day in an year to show love, but since there is one, and since we all have busy lives anyway why not take this chance to actually celebrate it? Some may call it being cheesy, while some may call it being opportunistic. Read on for the history of Valentine’s day, the Valentine’s week list, some gift ideas for her and some popular quotes to set you in the right mood.
HISTORY OF VALENTINE’S DAY
The history of Valentine’s day, by all accounts, is not a rosy one. Like several other things of the west, this is believed to have started in Rome, romanticized later by the English in their literature and has multiple origins for the fable. We will talk about the three most popular versions of the stories behind the origin of Valentine’s Day and the history of Saint Valentine.
- According to one legend, Valentine was a priest serving in Rome during the third century when Emperor Claudius II banned marriage for young men after deciding that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families. Valentine became vocal about the injustice and defied the emperor by performing marriages for young lovers in secret. When the emperor found out, it was ordered that Valentine be put to death.
- According to another legend, the first ‘Valentine’s day card’ was sent by Valentine from inside a prison, after he fell in love with a girl who, possibly his jailor’s daughter, visited him during his confinement. It is said that he wrote her a letter signed “From your Valentine,” an expression that is still in use.
- In other story, Valentine was killed while trying to help captured Christians escape from Roman prisons where they were captured and tortured.
Several other stories exist, but in almost all of them the image of Valentine being a sympathetic romantic figure and fighting for spreading love remains common. Perhaps, it makes sense to assign him the role of modern day cupid too.
THE VALENTINE WEEK LIST
Valentine’s day on 14th Feb comes with its own method of preparation. The preparation is similar to how love or a relationship starts blossoming up, building up gradually in real life. Starting from giving your beloved roses, to then proposing her, to other physical forms of intimacy, the celebrated day has a whole week devoted to various such moments of love.
|Date||Name of the day|
|7th February||Rose Day|
|8th February||Propose Day|
|9th February||Chocolate Day|
|10th February||Teddy Day|
|11th February||Promise Day|
|12th February||Hug Day|
|13th February||Kiss Day|
|14th February||Valentine Day|
5 CREATIVE VALENTINE GIFTS FOR HER
Instead of ostentatious expressions and gifts, make this valentine a way to show you care about her in the finest way possible. It would be pleasing to anyone to know that their partner genuinely remains interested in the little details of their lives, and this is what love truly is about at the end of the day and not what the V-Day marketing would make you believe that the more you spend the happier your partner is. At the risk of getting cliched and mushy, we would take this opportunity to suggest some Valentine gifts for her. But only we would try to be uncommon, creative and thoughtful, so here we suggest these five items after you have thought about what she likes to do and not just have –
- If she loves to read – there would sure exist her favorite book, and in there would sure exist a few favorite lines. A framed page of the book, with a short message on top is a sweet and thoughtful way to show you pay attention to even her minute likes and dislikes.
- If she loves to travel – yes, plan a trip with her. No material item needed here as quality time is the object of focus! No matter how long of a time commitment you both can make, there will most probably be something a couple hours drive away, and which is a whole activity in itself.
- If she loves to dress up – give her some classic piece of jewelry that will never get outdated. Pearl earrings, a watch, a dainty chain, etc. are some nice options and sky is the limit for what you can spend.
- If she loves to cook – she would enjoy some food cooked by you or cooked together by both of you. The point is to keep her close to things she loves, but still have her take a break from it. Since it’s the Valentine’s day, we are not suggesting cooking what you always cook, but to be fancy and try out wine (Check out the Wine Guide For Beginners) and some gooey baked stuff with music at home. If candlelight dinner is your thing, now is the time for it. If you don’t want to cook, then a romantic dinner place is a fine option too.
- If she loves fitness – gifting a membership is a safe and low effort option. But going for a fun session together like a small hike, biking around the city, trying out a dance class is a good way to keep the adrenaline up in a fun duet way.
If nothing above works, think a little more about what she likes and how you can capture that. Finally, go for the roses and chocolates and teddy bears if you know that’s what she likes.
20 BEST VALENTINE’S DAY QUOTES
There is no dearth of heartfelt quotes around Valentine and love. Movies, stories, literature all have not left a stone unturned to capitalize on the opportunity. Though the tradition of sending such quotes on a hand written note has certainly become old, sending customized gift items with these words on has inherited that special appeal. Here are our top selected quotes for you to ponder upon and that capture the spirit of the day –
- “That’s when you know for sure somebody loves you. They figure out what you need and they give it to you — without you asking.” – Very Valentine
- “In a world full of temporary things, you are a perpetual feeling.” – Sanober Khan
- “This fire that we call Loving is too strong for human minds. But just right for human souls.” – Elemental: The Power Of Illuminated Love
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” – Lao Tzu
- “Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.” – Anais Nin
- “We’re all a little weird, and life’s a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” – Dr. Seuss
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
- “Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.” – Albert Einstein
- “For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” – Judy Garland
- “Looking backward, I am glad I picked you. Looking forward, I am thankful for my future with you.”
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” – AA Milne
- “The real power of a man is in the smile of the women sitting next to him.” – Anonymous
- “There is only one happiness in life, to love and to be loved.” – Anonymous
- “Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar; but never doubt I love” – Shakespeare
- “You are my best friend as well as my lover, and I do not know which side of you I enjoy the most. I treasure each side, just as I have treasured our life together.” – Nicholas Sparks
- “It’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We are gonna have to work at this everyday. But I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever. You and me, everyday.” – Ryan Gosling
- “Is it not love that makes smooth things rough and rough things smooth?” – Vikram Seth
- “I love you for not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.” – Roy Croft
- Ya’Aburnee (Arabic) – literal translation is ‘you bury me’. It is used to express the hope that your loved one outlives you, so you don’t have to endure their pain of leaving you.
- “If someone loves you, you won’t have to wonder about how they feel. They will constantly remind you.” – Anonymous